The vision that motivated the creation of FIB is a world where every individual has developed the basic tools and skills to build wealth, take care of their families, and plan for a comfortable retirement.
The greatest impediment to financial security is a lack of financial literacy and a failure to conduct adequate study and research on topics related to personal finance and investment. While most of the basic information on investment and finance is accessible via books, websites, and other sources, very few of these resources are free and many of the online resources can be cumbersome and difficult to navigate. To help address this problem, I have created the Finance and Investments Basics (F.I.B.) website to provide easy access to financial and investment information and resources for those who wish to gain and maintain control of their own financial destiny. My hope is that these resources will help you build the knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to manage your own finances – instead of paying others high fees and commissions to do it for you – and build a future of financial success for you and your offspring.
This site is intended to be a first step in gaining the information and resources need to build financial literacy, but should not be treated as the “end-all-be-all” for finance and investment data. The information contained herein will not only help you build an introductory understanding of certain finance and investment topics, but will also act as a corollary to other recommended resources through which you can continue your research and further your journey to full financial literacy and security. The vision that motivated the creation of FIB is a world where every individual has developed the basic tools and skills to build wealth, take care of their families, and plan for a comfortable retirement.
FIB takes a multi-pronged approach to educating readers on personal finance and investment. First, rather than focusing on the “hot topic” or mania of the day or delving unnecessarily into current market trends (which are not a reliable indicator for future trends), FIB will seek to build a foundation and focus on the fundamentals: providing basic information on different asset classes, investment strategies, diversification, and asset allocation. Next, FIB will review some basic lessons learned and common pitfalls of personal finance and investing, some based on personal experiences and others based on information available from leading literature and figures in the personal finance and investment world. Lastly, as mentioned above, FIB will be a nexus to other resources and information through a list of recommended readings from other books and websites. As Benjamin Franklin astutely noted, “an investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” I hope FIB proves useful to everyone that reads and follows these posts and enhances our collective ability to build and maintain wealth, one person at a time.
“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” — Benjamin Franklin
FIB Goals and Objectives:
- Build individual knowledge and skills in personal finance and investing through the provision of easily accessible information and resources on relevant topics.
- Help individuals develop the self-sufficiency necessary to manage their own assets and portfolios and avoid unnecessary fees and expenses from having to pay others to do it for them.
- Encourage personal study and education in the fields of personal finance and investment to improve our collective financial literacy at the national and global level.
- Arm individuals with the information and tools needed to effectively plan for retirement.
What FIB will NOT do:
- FIB will not ask for your bank account information or that you entrust us with managing your money. We want you to develop the knowledge and skills to do that yourself. As the old adage says, we’d rather give you the fishing pole and teach you how to fish than catch the fish for you.
- FIB will not try to sell you on a gimmicks or “get-rich-quick” schemes. The information on this site is focused on providing practical information to enhance your knowledge and build long-term financial security.
- FIB will not try to make predictions on market trends or the next big stock pick. Even the foremost experts in these subjects are more often than not unable to predict the future. We similarly do not have a crystal ball and will not pretend that we have can predict the next big boom or crash.
- As noted in the disclaimer, FIB will not provide financial advice catered to a specific individual and his/her personal circumstances. Before making financial and investment decisions, individuals should consider their own financial situation and consult with a professional as appropriate.
- FIB will not discuss in great detail the more advanced and risky approaches for investing, such as hedge funds, “shorting” stocks, and methodologies for analyzing individual companies and securities that investment geniuses such as Warren Buffett might employ. The information in this site is focused on providing the basic tools for successful and responsible long-term investing, with an emphasis on those planning for retirement. However, so readers are aware that there are other methods and tools available, and in case you’ve outgrown this website and want to conduct more research on your own (which would be a good news story), I will briefly mention and define a few such topics.
Copyright © 2018 Finance and Investment Basics. All rights reserved.